Handibot Bridge Edition
Also known as "long handibot", "extended Y" or "Bridge". A portable CNC with a 6" x 24" cutting area, designed specifically to make tiling easier. The unusual aspect ratio of the tool was chosen to fulfill a number of objectives. The 6" X axis was kept as standard to allow owners of Adventure Edition Handibots to transfer their exoframes over to the new, longer base with minimal effort. The 24" Y axis was selected to fit the most commonly available and easy to transport "large materials"--a 2' x 4' sheet of plywood. With the majority of projects fitting onto a sheet of material this size--it was a natural limit which would be so large that it would make the handibot difficult to transport, while providing a significant increase in capability.
As of this date, only Handibot Adventure Edition owners can upgrade their tools to a Large Sheet Tool. The upgrade process involves replacing the Y axis bearings and removing the Y axis motor and base from the exoframe before attaching it to the new base--altogether taking roughly 2 hours. Due to the effort required for the upgrade it is not recommended that users plan on switching back and forth between the 24" base and the original 8" base.
The conductive Z-Zero plate from the Adventure Edition Handibot does not work with the base design of the Large Sheet Tool--instead, the optional Quick-Bit has been added to the line of Handibot accessories to allow for quick Z-Zeroing.
Handibot® Large Sheet Tool is a new way to take on large projects with portable CNC. An evolution of the original innovative, smart power tool that you can take anywhere and run from any WiFi-enabled device. Use Handibot® to perform precise and easily repeatable cutting, carving, machining, and milling operations. Work with wood, MDF, plastics, foams, and aluminum. All at the press of a button.
The Large Sheet Tool's rigid frame clamps onto large pieces of material up to 24" wide--allowing you to execute large projects with a series of accurate cuts; quickly sliding the Handibot down the length of your material. This is a tool optimized for tiling.
What is tiling? Imagine trying to print a large photograph using just a small desktop printer. You might print the photo out on a dozen sheets of paper; each sheet containing a small part of the larger image. Once joined together in the proper order, the smaller sheets would form a larger image.
Tiling applies that same strategy to cutting out large patterns with a small CNC router. Take a plan for a chair or a bookshelf--break the cut up into "tiles" that fit the tool--then move the tool across the material, stopping to cut out each tile as you go.
How does the Large Sheet Tool differ from its smaller cousin, the Handibot® Adventure Edition? With the cut length tripled from 8" to 24", the Large Sheet Tool can cut the entire width of a 24" sheet of material in one pass (ideal for the 24" x 48" plywood sheets available at every hardware store and lumber yard), reducing the time required to set up and cut a large project by a factor of three, bridging the gap between the small, portable Handibot Adventure Edition and the wood shop workhorse ShopBot Desktop.
Your projects will also benefit from improved precision due to faster and simpler tiling of large cuts:
- Just like the original Handibot, the Large Sheet Tool is take-anywhere portable. The tool has wheels on each side--allowing it to be moved like a roller-board suitcase; across the shop or across the country.
- The revolutionary new control software, FabMo, unleashes more freedom. This built-in digital fabrication and motion control system gives you the robust power of CNC technology while reducing the challenges of CNC:
You don't need to know how to use CAD and CAM software, you can simply use apps to make projects and run the tool to do simple jobs. If you want to work with the traditional CAD to CAM workflow, we provide access to two powerful software programs for creating CNC projects: VCarvePro ShopBot Edition and Autodesk Fusion360.
- FabMo also lets you create anywhere you want. Control and monitor the Handibot tool from any WiFi-enabled device: a Mac or PC computer, an Android or iOS phone, or any tablet. This is wireless CNC!
Handibot® Large Sheet Tool is NOT CE marked at this time.
All duties, tariffs, taxes and border fees MUST be paid by the customer.
To find the plug type for your country, visit www.iec.ch/worldplugs/list_bylocation.htm
New Hardware Features on the Large Sheet Tool:
- Simple tiling using a jig built into the tool. No need to set up measurement rails or jigs--just clamp to the tool onto your material and the position of each successive cut is placed based on the previous cut.
- A variety of simple fence options allow easy cuts on long lumber, wide open surfaces and sheet goods.
- Built-in clear hood helps cut down router noise, keeps sawdust and other waste isolated to the tool, and helps keep fingers safe.
- Handibot’s rigid, aluminum-reinforced frame and steel bearings ensure clean, precise cuts.
About the Software: FabMo™ is included!
- Compatible with any device with a web browser.
- App based platform allows work without any experience with CAD/CAM software; simply install a purpose built app for one of a variety of projects and work through a simple visual interface
- Experienced CNC users can still run files from their preferred CAD/CAM package in an interface with all the features and flexibility of professional CNC tools.
- Learn more About FabMo
Handibot is compatible with many software programs, including: • AutoCAD • Rhino 3D • SketchUp • ArtCAM • Vector Art 3D • Cabinet Vision • EnRoute • KCDw • MasterCAM • MillWizard • OneCNC • Shape 3D • Vector CAD CAM • Visualmill • CabinetParts Pro • DeskProto • eCabinet System
Handibot® is a community-supported, open source development platform.
We are sharing design files and other development resources with the Handibot community and encourage contributors to use these resources to rip, remix, burn and share their version of Handibot and accessories. Use Handibot as a starting point or use it just how it is, fully assembled and ready for work.